Welcome...

This blog serves as a behind-the-scenes peek into the life and journal of an interdisciplinary artist. Learn more at merliguerra.com or luminariumdance.org, and thank you for reading my thoughts on setting the visual and performing arts into motion.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Euphoric Exhaustion: Luminarium's 2013 ChoreoFest

Over the past week, the number of artistic adventures racing through my life has been hilariously disproportionate to the rest of the month. My new issue of Art New England magazine was completed last Tuesday, Luminarium's annual 24-Hour ChoreoFest kept me awake Friday through Saturday, our professional film shoot for my new film The One I Keep took up Sunday, and this Tuesday brought the rare opportunity to reconnect with Nataraj Dancers in Western Mass for a wonderful class and repertory session. It's one of those times when I look back over the past 8 days and am reminded of the power of artistic creativity to produce so much energy and adrenaline needed to make it through. It's exhausting, but it's a euphoric exhaustion.

CHOREOFEST

While last year's ChoreoFest left me dead tired, a little beaten down, and ultimately coming-to one day later while driving through Pennsylvania's Amish countryside, this year's ChoreoFest left me with boundless energy, electric excitement, and got me all the way home before falling asleep mid-burrito. So many of this year's first-time participants referred to the event as an opportunity to both push and learn more about their personal limits, and I can honestly it has done the same for me, having now hosted it with Kim for the second year. Things I've learned about myself: I do not enjoy choreographing overnight with a deadline looming (unlike my incredible co-director), and I cannot survive the event on one hour's sleep. But! I now know that I love being ChoreoFest's videographer and technical troubleshooter. Having the opportunity to spend quality time in each studio as a fly on the wall (a very tech-savvy, high-end camera-toting fly), and countless hours conversing with the other choreographers in the building, was as engaging as it was purposeful. Days later, I found myself knee deep in footage, and loving every minute of it. So many creative and joyful moments caught on film...now condensed into a few short minutes and some beautiful photos.


Above all else, ChoreoFest continues to foster new friendships between Luminarium and the other participating companies, with personal friendships forming in tandem. And possibly the most important tip I've learned in the last two years: A three-hour nap is plenty to get me through this all-night event...but the only way to get it is to squirrel myself away and hide from my ever-too-eager-to-wake-me-up co-director!

To hear other participants' thoughts, visit Luminarium's blog to read the 24-hour entry created during this year's ChoreoFest.

4 comments:

  1. Well said! Minus the part about hiding from me. There are only so many spaces to hide at the Dance Complex ;)

    It was great to watch you traipse through the building (as much as I could while making the piece), because I could sort of see the story behind the promo-video being mentally built as you filmed more and more. It was weird to sort of be on the outside, but also kind of inside your head as I watched you avidly watching around the room for different shots and moments to capture. That being said I was still so pleasantly surprised with the final product! It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey thanks!

    It's funny you say that, because I had a similar feeling watching you all choreograph... I felt like I had a behind-the-scenes concept of each work, but then was so happy to watch the dress rehearsal, because each work had really come to fruition overnight, and impressively at that! A nice surprise, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great that you both could observe and learn so much from this experience including discovering elaborations on your own individual strengths and abilities. Now next year, Merli, you will need a cloak of invisibility as you have given away your hiding space!

    ReplyDelete