Welcome...

This blog serves as a behind-the-scenes peek into the life and journal of an interdisciplinary artist. Learn more at merliguerra.com or luminariumdance.org, and thank you for reading my thoughts on setting the visual and performing arts into motion.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Today is Friday.

Today is Friday. Eight weeks since hitting my head, and I am finally feeling like myself again. Last night was a wonderful first step back into the world of dance after two months of being movement-free (something I rarely encounter). Yet between the layers of frustration, denial, deep sleep, and healing, I did manage to work out a few inspirations for 2012's new work with Luminarium. Last night's first rehearsal of the new season served as a chance for me to experiment with a couple of different images that have gone from the mind to the paper...and now to the bodies who build them.

Sketches by Julia Wagner

The first is a new piece involving a couple of old friends, constructive creativity, and some elbow grease. In an effort to help Luminarium return to its roots by using more innovative lighting, I am in the process of constructing a solo piece in which a dancer's back acts as the mast for a hovering geo-dome of hanging light bulbs.

Measurements of the dome in relation
to Melenie's height and figure.

These beautiful sketches, provided by my ever-talented sculpture consultant and occassional Luminarium photographer Julia Wagner, show glimpses into the making of this costume. I first met Julia at Mount Holyoke College, as an art student. At the time, I found her work to be uniquely inspiring, so I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to work with her on this new design!

Multiple panels of wood will follow Melenie's movements
across her back and shoulder blades.

Meanwhile, the dancer I plan to use is an even older friend from my days with Acton School of Ballet and Commonwealth Ballet Company. Melenie Diarbekirian and I reconnected back in May when she auditioned for a temporary role in Luminarium's Spring Tour in June. By July, Melenie had been added to the company as a Guest Performer, and as we head into our second season, Melenie is now one of four Senior Company Members with LDC. She has a beautifully elastic quality to her movement, and an extreme focus and energy as she moves.

A shadowy figure performs to her own set of pulsing lights.

I am greatly looking forward to creating a new piece with these two artists, while taking on the challenge of creating a solo that involves a wire up one leg, a power strip on the back, and a wire sculpture over the head! However cumbersome, I've often found that restricted movement can actually be a blessing, as having the freedom of a full movement vocabulary can be equally daunting.

...
During rehearsal, I spent some more time playing with lighting, but more of my focus has been falling on the idea of partnerships. After spending some time reviewing a phrase from a class I taught a few weeks back, we began experimenting with having one dancer instigate another dancer's movements. The result was a mixture of improvised timing and initiation, combined with a set choreographic phrase.

Christin and Meghan did a really nice job with this (of the duets I filmed). Take a peek, but remember it's in its roughest stages!


So that wraps up my first night back in the dance world, my choreographic puzzlements that I've begun to explore, and my appreciation of working with such talented and innovative friends and artists. More to come on these projects as they move forward into the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment